Learn all about electric propulsion with our motor and propeller labs. These coursewares take you from theory to practice by explaining concepts then demonstrating them with one of our propulsion test stands. Our RCbenchmark Series 1580/1585 Education Kit has all of the components required to carry out the experiments.
The coursewares present students with a practical problem: they are tasked with selecting the motor and propeller that will maximize the flight time of a small drone used to deliver packages. The labs walk the students through the selection process.
Motor Theory Lab
The Motor Theory Lab demonstrates concepts such as motor efficiency, electromagnetic force, Kirchhoff's laws and how to find the Kv of a motor. Students will discover the concept of motor efficiency by comparing different motors with the Series 1580/1585 test stand.
- Present and understand the problem to be solved
- Learn the components of a drone (motor, propeller, motor controller, battery, airframe, payload)
- Understand the concept of current, voltage and electrical power
- Understand the concept of motor efficiency and how to calculate it
- Understand the concept of overall efficiency and how to calculate the flight time
Propeller Theory Lab
The Propeller Theory Lab discusses propeller aerodynamics and efficiency and how they relate to a drone's flight time. These concept will help them understand how propeller efficiency is affected by the pitch, diameter, material, and design of their propellers.
- Establish design requirements and assumption
- Learn simple static theory (thrust and weight)
- Understand propeller thrust and how to calculate the thrust required for a quadcopter
- Understand the concept of torque (rotation force) and rotation speed
- Understand and calculate mechanical power and propeller